Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Llamas share in the joy of grooming


We have had so many days already in December with temperatures in the single digits, I knew I couldn't put off brushing any longer. I bundled up tonight and spent a couple hours in the barn doing chores and brushing the ponies and llamas. I wonder if it is as therapeutic for them as it is for me? I always feel the stress wash away when I spend time with the animals.

The ponies did their usual routine. If I start on Jenny, then Jeremiah (see photo below) pushes his head under my arm or brush to take over the attention. Madison loves to get his chest brushed with the curry comb, especially if he's been wearing his turnout blanket at night. Savannah is always up for a good brushing, but she is more subtle about her enjoyment of it.
The llamas were cute as always. I was working on the brush hog, Betty (who would stand for hours upon hours for brushing - no halter, no lead - just free in the aisle). Annabell came over and leaned into me asking for a turn. I started brushing her neck and she slowly stepped forward so that I could reach her back and hips. Then she slowly turned so I could get the other side. Annabell usually cooperates for brushing, but she had never been quite this expressive about it! She must have been itchy. Photo below is of Stunning and Annabell.

The new llamas are getting the hang of it. It helps for them to watch the others and to realize that it isn't scary or stressful. I got a hold of Blanco (Hard Rock's Blanco), and softly brushed the wisps of hay from his gorgeous white fiber. He is a talker, so he hummed his complaints at first and spun around once, but I switched my hold, moved gently with him, and he realized he was still within my frame. A few moments later, he relaxed, started eating some hay and began to enjoy the brush. How sweet to watch him settle in quickly. He's only been here at Dawn of Promise a couple months. His mama, Hard Rock's Simply Stunning, is just that. We love to gaze on her beauty. She kept leaning forward and sniffing the brush. She is very good to stand still if I have her tied to the stall front or a post, but standing free, she is not quite ready to hang out with me for a good brushing. I predict she's not far from that decision. (See Stunning and Blanco in the photo below. Stunning is expecting a cria in May by M.R.S. Fully Loaded.)



Little Toodles, also known as Hard Rock's Primary Colors, loves to get brushed. He loves to eat more. As long as he is munching hay, he'll stand for quite a long time while you straighten up his fiber. He and Blanco both, let you brush clear down to their toes. Very good llama boys!

Heartsong Llamas of Dawn of Promise Farm
Battle Ground, IN

No comments:

Post a Comment