Monday, November 28, 2011

A Connemara stallion and his llama friends

On the bad weather days, I often have a barn-aisle full of llamas to lead my Connemara stallion through when I turn him out to his pasture. It's llama here, llama there, llama kushing across the aisle, llama chewing cud. Everyone is relaxed and peaceful and enjoying the protection of the barn. They can remain in their spot in the aisle because they have confidence that my 1000-pound horse will step carefully around them.

He is one special stallion. I have had him for 23 years of his 24 years. His name is Kerrymor Madison. We have ridden many a trail, jumped more fences than I can remember and shown in numerous shows. He has Connemara offspring all around North America. In fact, he was honored in 2002 with the An Tostal Hall of Fame Trophy for outstanding performance stallion by the American Connemara Pony Society. His lifelong accomplishments are sweet, but it is in the brief moments such as the one when he exits the barn through all the llamas, where I am reminded daily of the wonders of Mr. Madison.

When some ponies might be banging on their stall door to remind you that it is time to go out, Madison waits patiently. When I slide the door back, he reaches his nose out to nuzzle whichever llama is the closest. I lead him, with a leadrope looped around his neck, through the llamas. He stopped tonight to sniff on Lily, our 6-month old cria, and then shared hay with her from a feed tub. When he got to Cierra, who was kushing across his path, he reached down to nuzzle her back and ask her to stand. He could step over her, but seems to know that wouldn't be a good thing in case she popped up while he was stepping over. He also seems very aware that his hooves could do damage if he placed them too close to the folded limbs of a kushing llama. So he nuzzles, and he waits.

When I get him through the gate and turn him free, he'll still play or roll or do other pony antics. But how awesome is it that he waits to let his energy loose until he's outside and away from his llama friends. Kerrymor Madison is one, very special horse. I am blessed to have him in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment