Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Llama Crias, Rabbit Kits and a Ravellenic Medal

We have had such a busy summer at the farm that I'm behind in blog posting! I don't know where to start. There are so many subjects I'd love to share with you, but I don't want this to get too long. I'm opting for a few photos of our handsome new cria, Heartsong Gillen, born May 10. He is by FFF Mas Chiri and out of Hard Rock's Simply Stunning. We can't wait to get him in the show ring next year. He has lovely conformation, gorgeous fiber and a nice personality to add to the package.





We also have welcomed two litters of French Angora rabbits to the farm. They are just adorable and out of quality parents (Black Foot's Coal is the sire; Blackfoot's Popcorn and Briar Lane's Frosty are the dams), so they ought to have nice, dense fiber and easy-going personalities. We will pick a couple to keep and show (and to use their fiber) and the rest will be available for sale. Popcorn had 9 in her litter and Frosty has a group of 6 in her litter. Coming home to love on a baby llama or to snuggle baby rabbits can be a great stress reliever! Just grooming the animals in general -- it doesn't matter if it is Connemara pony, llama or French Angora rabbit -- is time well spent and rejuvenating to both animal and human handler.
Popcorn's litter of 9!

One of Frosty's kits, fast asleep in my hand.

Frosty's litter of 6!

The other fun and slightly silly news, is that I participated in the Ravellenic Games 2012 this year in Ravelry during the Olympics.... and ... won a "medal!" I signed up for the Swatching Coxswain and made 5 swatches to sample different animals fibers and to have swatches for display at my farm tack area at  shows - llama and rabbit shows. I already took several of the swatches to the Indiana State Fair and many people seemed to enjoy looking at the llama and then holding a piece of knitted fabric that had been produced from that very llama. It was fun to watch their faces. (I'll do my next blog post on the adventures of attending the Indiana State Fair llama show.)

No comments:

Post a Comment