Friday, April 1, 2011

Llama Cria Says Hello in Utero

I had our female llama, Stunning, in a stall two nights ago, so that I could brush her. With each stroke of the brush she was flinching as if to say "don't touch me, don't touch me, don't touch me." That reaction was not a normal one for Stunning who usually enjoys a little brushing.

Just as I was about to give up and leave her alone, I saw her cria kick. It was almost as if the baby was going for a run while in utero. No wonder Stunning didn't want me to brush her! She was dealing with enough activity without my help.

I was so fascinated with watching the feet of the little guy (or gal) pummeling the side of momma. Stunning is due at the end of the month, so not much longer now. I just pray he/she arrives safely and that Stunning is loaded with lots of wonderful milk! The prayer of all llama owners, or livestock breeders in general.

Stunning out in the pasture last fall with her 2010 male cria, Hard Rock's Blanco by Campaign.


No comments:

Post a Comment